Submissions/7th Grade wikipedia project
From Wikimania 2012 • Washington, D.C., USA
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- 7th Grade wikipedia project
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Gabriel Thullen
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Collège des Colombières, Versoix (Switzerland)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Colombières junior high school is located in Versoix, a small town near Geneva, Switzerland. I am a math and computer science teacher, and have been working with my students on this wikipedia project as part of their curriculum since 2006.
- Versoix is in the French speaking part of Switzerland, so the courses are taught in French. There is a very large international community in Genenva which means that most students speak at least one other language, and have used wikipedia as a source of information in their mother tongue. Working with wikipedia and understanding how the encyclopedia is structured allows them to see how knowledge can be shared across the different cultural divides.
- The 7th Grade wikipedia project has the following objectives:
- enable the students to become faliliar with the information technologies (IT) used in education;
- give students tools that enable them to research on their own subjects that interest them;
- encourages them to systematically document and reference their information sources;
- shows the students the advantages and difficulties of collaborative work;
- These objectives form a coherent whole and the aim is to enable the students to participate in the writing of an encyclopedia and to increase the sharing of knowledge. Most students use wikipedia on a regular basis for their course work. This activity increases their comprehension of how wikipedia works as well as helping some of them take the step and become contributors.
- The project is described on the French wikipedia, together with links to the contributions made by my students over the years: fr:Projet:Collège_des_Colombières
- I use this project as a case study for the continuing education course which I give in Geneva for swiss teachers (details here). I will cover the method I use to work with the students, as well as the different changes brought to the procedure over time. I will also talk about the acceptance of the project by the school authorities, as well as the different guidelines public schools have to follow when working, and publishing, with students on the web (especially privacy issues). I am bilingual English/French, which means that even if the project is run in French, this presentation will be held in English, and all the material will be provided in both languages.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Am planning to
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides, handouts
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).