Submissions/Funds for Free Knowledge: Wikimedia Foundation Grantmaking
From Wikimania 2012 • Washington, D.C., USA
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Funds for Free Knowledge: Wikimedia Foundation Grantmaking
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Asaf Bartov
- E-mail address
- abartov AT wikimedia DOT org
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- The Global Wikimedia Blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Wikimedia Foundation has been offering financial grants since 2009. This past year, the Grants program has seen some significant changes -- the introduction of an advisory body composed of community members, more systematic attention to proposals and reports, criteria and process for large unrestricted annual operating grants -- as well as an entirely new program called Participation Grants. In addition to all these changes, we are in a position to look back and draw some conclusions about things that work well vs. things that work less well.
From my vantage point as a Wikipedian, former chapter board member, and current staff and head of the Grants program at the Foundation, I will try to share best practices and tips for successful grant proposals and for successfully managing grants (getting the money is the easy part!).
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- no track seems to explicitly include this. Help? (WikiCulture and Community) ;) --OrsolyaVirág 20:43, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes.
- --Saintfevrier 23:03, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- --Poupou l'quourouce 20:38, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
- --Noopur28 Noopur28 21:30, 10 February 2012 (UTC)
- --OrsolyaVirág 20:43, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- --Ebenezer Frimpong 14 February 2012
- --Rangilo Gujarati 11:51, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:34, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- HstryQT (talk) 16:29, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 14:29, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 11:26, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Mike Linksvayer (talk) 17:46, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Solstag (talk) 04:10, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- RajeshPandey (talk) 10:11, 26 March 2012 (UTC)
- Dmitri Lytov (talk) 20:46, 6 June 2012 (UTC) (not sure, but I'd like to).
- Polimerek (talk) 11:38, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!