This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Like a phoenix from the ashes: history and future of Wikimedia podcasts
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Tomasz Kozłowski
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Polska
- Personal homepage or blog
The projects of the Wikimedia Foundation aim at collecting all human knowledge. In most of the cases, this is understood as text — which is, however, just one of the ways to distribute knowledge in the current world. Wikimedia projects have proven successful in providing text-based knowledge to their users; and yet, they have never been as successful in using the other means, with audio and video in particular.
In this presentation, I would like to critically analyse all audio projects organised by various Wikimedia communities, including the Wikipedia weekly podcasts, WikiProject Spoken Wikipedia (and its other language versions), Audio Wikinews, Wikiversity's Wiki Campus Radio as well as some less known initiatives, for instance pronunciation of quotes for Wikiquote and pronunciation of words for Wiktionary and Wikibooks. The analysis would include examples of the apparent failures of those projects, and the reasons for those failures, as well as some ideas to be used in the future.
I would especially like to introduce the participants to a small but promising project run by two Polish Wikimedians under the name of Wikiradio, which is a volunteer-based initiative being run from a professional radio studio, and broadcast live on the Internet with the help from a community-created Radio Wnet. By presenting Wikiradio's activities to-date and comparing them with the activities of the above-mentioned projects, I intend to show its possible future as the ultimate implementation of the long-existing idea of Wikimedia Radio.
A short discussion is intended to follow the presentation, and will aim at gathering other ideas for the future of Wikiradio as well as at engaging interested participants in creating other language editions of the project; I would also love and am ready to hold longer behind-the-scenes talks about a possible cooperation on Wikiradio.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- 18 minutes + 7 minutes for discussion
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depends on other factors
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides will be provided in PDF or a LibreOffice Impress format
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Should probably not be held at the same time as Manuel Schneider's presentation on WikiTV due to an anticipated overlap of interested participants.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Saper (talk) 22:19, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Airwolf (talk) 00:17, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 20:42, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Crtew (talk) 19:49, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 11:41, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Podkaster (talk) 19:21, 5 May 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 (talk) 17:39, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.