Submissions/Mapping by the Margins. New Cultures of Contribution
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Mapping by the Margins. New Cultures of Contribution
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The approach of collaboration and openness, as exemplified by Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap, is an ideal fit for marginalized communities in many ways: anyone is welcome to contribute and add their voice, whatever their background; the knowledge is free to use with minimal restriction and zero cost; and there are supportive global communities and connections. However, the realities of every day life in developing country slums, in occupied territories, and rural villages raise severe challenges to the participatory and voluntary models that are part of the core of WikiCulture.
This talk will examine those challenges, the economic, political and educational realities, through our work on the Map Kibera project (http://mapkibera.org/), slum mapping in Dar es Salaam, grassroots media projects in East Jerusalem, and elsewhere. We don't have the definitive answers to questions of motivation and sustainability, of change through technology, but have taken an experimental, learning, co-creation approach to finding the unique answer in every situation.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).