Submissions/MediaWiki Extensions:What they are and why we love them
From Wikimania 2012 • Washington, D.C., USA
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- MediaWiki Extensions:What they are and why we love them
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Gregory Varnum
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Aequalitas Project
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- There are now hundreds of extensions available for use with MediaWiki. This presentation will provide an overview of what extensions are, the role they serve in Wikimedia projects, where developers can go for information on developing them and how system administrators can learn more about them. Not all of these extensions are being maintained or actively used, information on what's being done to archive or improve these extensions will also be discussed in context of projects of MediaWiki.org’s WikiProject Extensions.
- Following the brief presentation, there will be an opportunity for networking among extension developers, and opportunities for folks interested in asking questions about developing extensions or asking extension developers questions.
- If there is time, some discussion and action steps will be documented and followed up by MediaWiki.org’s WikiProject Extensions. The WikiProject will also serve as the host for the presentation. Information on the WikiProject will be provided - including take away materials sent via email after the presentation. Email addresses will be collected from participants to facilitate distribution of any materials in “green friendly” electronic method. A very limited number of print materials will be available, by request, for accessibility purposes.
- Ideally this presentation will help provide a place for third-party extension developers to network and educate the broader Wikimedia community on who they are, why they exist and what they’re up to. Will also serve as MediaWiki.org’s WikiProject Extensions' entry for Wikimania. Other related projects are invited to contact facilitator(s) in advance to request additional materials be made available.
- Varnent will serve as the primary facilitator of the presentation and following discussion. However, other members, especially developers, of MediaWiki.org’s WikiProject Extensions may be encouraged to participate or speak. Possible attendees include current or potential third-party MediaWiki extension developers, Wikimedians interested in learning more about or supporting MediaWiki extensions, and people with specific questions for developers of MediaWiki extensions.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).