Submissions/5 Reasons Why Archives are an Untapped Goldmine for Wikimedians
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
5 Reasons Why Archives are an Untapped Goldmine for Wikimedians
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
Sosarasays (talk) 16:23, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Archival repositories are places which hold the original records created by people and organizations--paper, audiovisual, and electronic--preserving and providing access the primary sources that form the backbone of historical research. They are also a treasure trove of unique, reliable sources and free media for Wikipedia editors. Moreover, professional archivists often share the same driving passion that motivates so many volunteer editors: the desire to organize valuable information and make it accessible to all.
This presentation will introduce you to the basics of archival records and research (often a somewhat mysterious process to the uninitiated) and lay out the top 5 reasons why partnerships with archival repositories are of mutual benefit to Wikimedians and archivists alike. I will also share links and sources you can use to help identify and locate archival repositories and interested archivists from around the world.
This presentation will be informed by the experience of our prior GLAM-Wiki collaboration hosting Wikipedian in Residence Sarah Stierch at the Archives of American Art during the Summer/Fall of 2011.
GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums)
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- HstryQT (talk) 16:14, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Haxpett (talk) 23:11, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
- Shani (talk) 02:42, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Edsu (talk) 11:52, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- —Tom Morris (talk) 18:31, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Islahaddow (talk) 18:42, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- Iopensa (talk) 10:16, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 14:42, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 23:54, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 22:31, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 01:02, 5 April 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 03:48, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- JoBaWik (talk) 12:30, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 01:02, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!