Submissions/Direct-to-GLAM: the newcomer model
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Direct-to-GLAM: the newcomer model
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Shani Evenstine
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- GLAM Projects Coordinator, Wikimedia Israel; Editor, Project Ben-Yehuda.
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation aims to open up a global discussion on newcomers joining Wikimedia [and naturally related wiki projects, like wikipedia and Commons], specifically in order to take part in GLAM work. The presentation will be divided into two parts -
The first part will offer a discussion of the pros and cons of newcomers taking part in GLAM work -
- a fresh point of view
- enthusiasm and willingness to make extra efforts
- neutrality among other members of the community (no "ego" fights yet, accessible to everyone)
- can easily relate to other newcomers, share his experience and teach others easily, as his own learning experience is still fresh
- anonymity -> very difficult to recruit others for GLAM projects from inside the community, lacks knowledge of the 'people behind the names', including their interests and expertise].
- feelings of isolation, loneliness and sometimes of stupidity, being the "newbie" in a very tight community of people (who mostly know each other), and having to keep up with a lot on an almost daily basis.
- Lack of knowledge - a huge amount of things to learn, in a very short time span, with no step-by-step tutorial or guide.
- having to invest a lot of time & energy in order to become a "visible" member of the community.
The second part offers a discussion of the pros and cons of using GLAM to recruit new Wikimedians.
The focus would be on the pros, as bringing new people who are passionate about GLAM to wikipedia and other wiki projects is always a good thing,
especially when opening the door to people who wouldn’t have joined wikipedia otherwise:
- new [and always needed] volunteers to do a much needed work - quantity & quality never fails
- keeps community fresh & flexible
- "new blood" -> new possibilities of growth
- GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums)
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- I really hope so [scholarship pending]
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Prefers not early morning; any time after 11 AM would be good.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Ijon (talk) 04:04, 14 March 2012 (UTC)
- HstryQT (talk) 19:57, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 10:23, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 00:04, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Kippelboy (talk) 07:12, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 09:13, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 08:40, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.