Submissions/How to form a photo-hunting group? Or how Wiki-photogaphers can get organized?
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
How to form a photo-hunting group? Or how Wiki-photogaphers can get organized? Following the footsteps of Laozi.
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
deror at wikimedia dot org dot il
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
For the past several years I have been the organizor of the Elef Milim Project. On a monthly basis, a group of wikipedians meet in order to take pictures needed for articles in Hebrew Wikipedia articles or for the Commons.
The project brings together Wikipedians for fun educational activity aiming at enriching the Commons free image repository with pictures of sites, buildings and landscape in Israel. It is a series of field-trips to different sites in Israel, organized and guided by those Wikipedians who are experienced in tourist guiding, history and/or geography.
In Hebrew Elef Milim can be translated as "a thousand words" - a reference to the proverb "a Picture is worth a thousand words" - or as "a thousand miles" - a reference to Laozi's  saying: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".
For the past five years 43 tours (as of submission date) took place (by the time Wikimania takes place it will be 47 tours). About 15 - 20 wikipedians and wikimedians attend each tour.
More than 10,000 free images have been uploaded to commons.
This lecture will discribe the project, and will answer the following questions:
- How to organize a group of wikipedians? How often should the tours take place? How to chose the sites to be photographed? Where to publish the existance of the tours (to get only serious people to come and not free riders? How to choose the dates for the tours?
- How to find guides? how to fund the tours? how to manage without funding?
- What kind of problems should arise, and how to solve them?
- How to coordinate the uploading of the images?
- Connecting Glam projects to the photo hunts.
Some selected images taken during the tours:
- Length of presentation/talk
15 - 20 min (can be 25 min)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
Not on Saturday
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- --Lpagola (talk) 17:31, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 18:33, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 22:56, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Eloquence (talk) 00:47, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Airwolf (talk) 00:56, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 03:34, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- JoBaWik (talk) 12:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Emw (talk) 20:21, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
- Polimerek (talk) 11:32, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.