Submissions/New editor retention and administrative actions
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- New editor retention and administrative actions
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- This is an analysis of the affect that administrative actions have on new editor retention. Every day we might click the block, protect, delete buttons, or advanced tools like the edit filter, Antivandal bot blacklists, or Spam/title blacklists. This panel is to prepare a set of ideas on how the average admin can assist in editor retention, 1 editor at a time. This will also be submitted to the wider community to see if changes in processes are required. This panel will be taking cross-language and cross-project admins and asking them questions that may affect a first time editor's long term retention. Specifically this panel will be looking at what administrators think the biggest editor non-retention factor, restraint of administrative actions, notices towards blocked users, the unblock process, the page creation/restoration process (including smaller projects like w:WP:Articles for Creation or w:WP:Peer review), and more. This panel is really looking for where the big bottleneck is in regards to administrative actions and see if we can’t improve the systems that we have, so we don’t turn away the chance at a major editor. The panel participants should have a chance for administrators to ask their own questions and or comments on editor retention. If there is time, comments will be solicited from the audience. We will be having administrators from Simple, English, Cantonese, Sanskrit, Tagalog, Gujarati Wikipedias, Meta Wiki, Wikimedia Commons, and an English Wikipedia ArbCom member. I’m out of words right now, but I hope that the questions I will ask fill some of the text I can’t fill here.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- Requesting around 60 minutes.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Administrative details, people on the panel, preliminary questions. See Wikimania-l mailing list for updates.
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- --Poupou l'quourouce (talk) 20:40, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Wikitafa (talk) 16:45, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- RajeshPandey (talk) 07:16, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Eloquence (talk) 00:22, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 19:23, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 13:06, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Alhen (talk) 02:52, 13 April 2012 (UTC)
- Johnbod (talk) 02:35, 15 April 2012 (UTC)
- Thuvack (talk) 17:57, 21 April 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 05:44, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.