Friendly space policy
The Wikimania organizing committee is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. This kind of behavior is not appropriate for any conference, and especially inappropriate for a community-oriented conference like Wikimania. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. Harassment also includes sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, unwelcome following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the conference organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the conference. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of conference staff immediately. Conference staff can be identified by special badges.
Conference staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
We expect participants to follow these policies at all conference venues and conference-related social events.
Similar policies exist for community events as well, such as the Wikimedia Foundation’s friendly space policy for tech events, Wikimedia UK's participation policy and GLAMcamp’s friendly space policy.
- Conference organizers' contact information
- Nicholas Michael Bashour, Wikimedia DC President
- email: nicholas.bashour AT wikimediadc.org
- phone: +1-313-377-4589
- Conference and accommodation security contacts
- George Washington University police: +1-202-994-6111
- WMATA transit police: +1-202-962-2121
- Dupont Circle Hotel: +1-202-483 6000
- State Plaza Hotel: +1-202-861-8200
- St. Gregory Hotel: +1-202-530-3600
- Kimpton Helix: +1-202-462-9001
- Kimpton Rouge: +1-202-232-8000
- Hostelling International Washington: +1-202-737-2333
- Local law enforcement and medical emergency
- Venue sexual assault hotline
Sexual Assault Crisis Consultation Team: (202) 994-SACC (7222)
- National sexual assault hotline
- 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- Local taxi service
- (+1)-202-544-1212 (takes credit cards)