- 1 One pager
- 2 Relevance of "This page is under construction" heading for the FAQ Page
- 3 The ambiguous expression "until April 23"
- 4 Start last name with a capital "N."
- 5 Eight wonders of the world
- 6 No "Submission no." or Subsequent Categorization for Submission
- 7 Facilities for Presentation -- Free WiFi, Audio, Video ?
- 8 Can I require Visa Assistance a bit later?
- 9 Wikimania Takes Manhattan + Scholarships
- 10 Airport tax
- 11 Registration for the conference as an editor
- 12 How to confirm my acceptance, please help!
- 13 Transportation cover for scholarship recipients
- 14 Visa assistance
- 15 Tipping
- 16 Wikimania Takes Manhattan
- 17 Address book
- 18 Registration Table / Conference Badges
- 19 Parking suggestions
- 20 Withdrawing a poster/presentation
- 21 Slide show - Powerpoint
- 22 Conference badge pick-up
One of the goals for Wikimania 2012 will be to create a "one pager" PDF document that will have all the vital info on one page that can be printed out and guide folks from outside of DC to the venue and accomodations. Here are some of the ideas for what should be on this:
- Exact address of venue
- Emergency phone number, and person in charge
- Most typical transport scenario for airport->transit->venue and estimated costs
- Basic info on money exchange rate, and best options for money changing, tipping guidelines
- Electrical outlet information, picture of plug types
- Telecom choices
- Which cell phone provider (AT&T and T-Mobile) sell GSM pre-paid SIM chips
- Which 3G WCDMA options (AT&T) and pay-as-you-go
- A few basic important phrases in local language
- Small map of the area: venue and housing
- Transit options, route numbers: bus, METRO, cab fares, sample costs
- REDIRECT Wikimania:One_Pager
Relevance of "This page is under construction" heading for the FAQ Page
Is the "This page is under construction" heading needed for the FAQ Page even now? Hindustanilanguage 12:23, 11 January 2012 (UTC).
- Agree and it's gone. After all Wikipedia and other wikis will forever be under construction. :) Aude 17:00, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
The ambiguous expression "until April 23"
The main page says, "Take advantage of the early registration discount until April 23!" while the registration page says, "Regular Registration starts: April 23, 2012." Usually, "until" includes the given date, so the expression "until April 23" could be ambiguous. I think it should be fixed into "through April 22" to be clear.--Freebiekr 07:38, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
Start last name with a capital "N."
I accidently set up my account by spelling my last name witha lower case "n." All I want to do is make it a capital "N" but you won't recognize it because it's "too similar to an already created account." I wish to eliminate "Bruce neckels," and make it "Bruce Neckels." Would you please allow me to do that?
Eight wonders of the world
I am trying to find information on the eight wonders of the world.
No "Submission no." or Subsequent Categorization for Submission
True enough, all submissions have moved out of the “Under Review” category. Still, under 'Pages in category "Wikimania submissions"', submission:
Submissions/Tetra-etrics – a proposal towards a Crowdsourced Acyclic Directed Network with an Epistemological Evolutionary Tendency (CADNEET)
is found. However, although all 422 submissions have been tallied as distributed in either “Late Submissions” (11 P) or “Under Review” (411 P), the above mentioned submission has not been found in those categories or in such as:
- category “Presentation”,
- topic “Technology and Infrastructure”
and has not been assigned a “Submission no.”. Yet, the submission was submitted as a “presentation” for under the “Technology and Infrastructure” Track.
Please, explain the lack of subsequentcategorization and “Submission no.”. Thank you.
- Sorry for the inconvenience. The submission was checked, but unfortunately it was apparently submitted after the deadline and I regret to tell you that it will be disqualified.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 09:28, 25 March 2012 (UTC)
Please state the time of the deadline and the time you have it posted as submitted because I have a user name registration email confirmation of 3/18/2012 11:31 PM whereupon within minutes I made the submission over a high speed connection and I live on the East Coast. Further, at the time of the submission, there was no submission closed notice. The closing time as I know it from official Wikimedia site was 06:59 UTC on 19 March 2012. Please, explain.
- History of the page states the submission was created at 04:55 (UTC +1). I wasn't really sure where do you exactly live to deduce if it was belated or not, but if you are somewhere on the East Coast of the United States it seems that you've narrowly beaten up the deadline. Thanks for pointing out your place of residence, which helps to deal with this sort of unclear cases. Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 20:32, 25 March 2012 (UTC)
Facilities for Presentation -- Free WiFi, Audio, Video ?
Sorry if I missed it some how: Please, clarify the facilities available for presenters and their audience. For example, can a presenter of a submitted project instruct their audience to connect via wifi to visit a site on their laptops? Is there a video monitor or projection screen? Seating? Lectern? Distance to audience? Valid entry (talk) 00:00, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
- We'll provide more detail on these questions to presenters once the final program has been selected and confirmed. In the interim, however, there will be wifi available, though I would caution all presenters not to assume that every participant will have a laptop. All rooms will have a screen for presenters to use and a podium. Seating and distance to audience may vary based on the room in which a presentation will take place. Thanks! Metabrarian (talk) 20:27, 15 April 2012 (UTC)
Can I raise this question again? I'm speaking and would love to know if the room I'll be presenting in will have projection with amplified audio? I'd like to show some images with audio if the facilities allow it. Is there any way I can get a confirmation either way on this? -- JackHerrick (talk) 18:42, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
- There will be a projector with screen, Wi-Fi, full audio-visual system (so you can play something with sound), lectern (with wireless mic for your meandering pleasure), and theater-style seating. During the conference there will be technical support available in case something comes up. I don't believe we're providing a laptop for each room. Harej (talk) 04:52, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
Can I require Visa Assistance a bit later?
I've already registered and paid for the Wikimaina 2012. I'm from China, so I have to require Visa Assistance. However, my passport is near the expiry, so I'm renewing it and it will be completed by the end of this month. For this reason, I have to request Visa Assistance when the requirement of my new passport is completed. I wonder if it is enough for the Visa Assistance. Thanks. --Shujenchang (talk) 01:39, 15 April 2012 (UTC)
- Please email me at james.harewikidc.org requesting the letter. If you filled out the visa assistance section of the registration form, we will already have all the necessary information. If not, please email me your full name, date of birth, country issuing passport, passport number, and passport expiration date. Thank you, Harej (talk) 13:36, 22 April 2012 (UTC)
Wikimania Takes Manhattan + Scholarships
If I were to book my flight tickets using the travel agency recommended for scholarship recipients, may I know whether airport tax (arrival and departure) will be prepaid by the agency or do I need to pay the taxes and fees when I arrive and depart? Bejinhan (talk) 03:05, 24 April 2012 (UTC)
- Airport tax is included in the ticket price, which the Wikimedia Foundation pays. You don't pay anything when you arrive and depart. Aude (talk) 10:02, 26 April 2012 (UTC)
Registration for the conference as an editor
How to confirm my acceptance, please help!
Unless I've registered in https://secure.wikidc.org/wm/reg/ (as A1) page, today I receive a message in which it is written that you "have not heard" from me regarding your decision to ACCEPT or REJECT". My answer is ACCEPT, but what must I do for my answer been heard? --A1 (talk) 21:12, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
- If the "message" is an e-mail, you should simply answer to it. Ruslik (talk) 16:01, 7 May 2012 (UTC)
Transportation cover for scholarship recipients
- Originally from Talk:Wikimania_Takes_Manhattan#Bus_to_DC
Hi. As per the original scholarship notification email, it read "Recipients will also receive a transit card to cover costs to and from the venue". Does that mean to and from the airport (i.e NYC-DC and DC-NYC for those who book a round-trip from NYC)? Or just between the dorm and GWU in DC?
In my opinion, the travels between HI-DC and GWU is very much walkable and much less of a hassle compared to the airport transfers, which could be an issue where most non-US visitors may need help with (as many might be unfamiliar with the local transportation systems or geography)...
- I see my question was asked a long time ago. Has there been a response to this question? --18.104.22.168 19:09, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
Hello. I registered for wikimania2012, order# 82, and I need visa assistance. I sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org this Wednesday morning but got no reply yet. How can I request for the visa assistance as soon as possible? Thank you.Oz750 (talk) 17:11, 25 May 2012 (UTC)
- You can mail to James Hare (james.harewikidc.org) or Katie Filbert (katie.filbertwikidc.org). --Shujenchang (talk) 18:19, 30 May 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you very much. I tried to contact addresses above for several times but I got no reply since 3 weeks ago. I applied for the interview next week but I still have nothing in my hand. I attended Wikimania for several times in different countries, the visa assistant always comes on time, also easy to contact, made the visa applied smoothly. Is there any else method to request the visa assistant, urgently? Thank you. Oz750 (talk) 19:51, 4 June 2012 (UTC)
- Tipping is conventional but not required. Harej (talk) 20:59, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
Wikimania Takes Manhattan
Could anyone answer this? If I pay for a regular registration, will any extra cost for pre-conference including Wikimania Takes Manhattan? Do we need a separate registration for it? Is it allowed to bring guests/family members to WTM and at what cost?
- As far as a I know, Wikimania Takes Manhattan is free. It is being organized independently. Harej (talk) 20:59, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay on this - it's now filled in. Thanks! Metabrarian (talk) 05:18, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
Registration Table / Conference Badges
- The conference badge can be picked up in the front lobby of the Marvin Center, the same building where everything else is taking place.
- There will be registration all the days of the conference, including Tuesday and Wednesday.--OrsolyaVirág (talk) 19:22, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
Did my best to search through all the information available across the site; couldn't find anything...
I will be driving to the venue. Can the organizers make any suggestions where reasonably priced parking might be found near the venue?
Withdrawing a poster/presentation
Slide show - Powerpoint
Is there a method of uploading slide to this website? It would probably be easier to upload them to some Wiki website (Commons?) than to e-mail them to people who request them. Smallbones (talk) 10:31, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
Conference badge pick-up
I will arrive in the early evening on 10 July. (I hope to get to the Marvin Center by 7 pm) Won't it be too late for me to pick up my badge? Should I wait until the next morning? Ruslik (talk) 11:44, 8 July 2012 (UTC)