Submissions/Delivering Wikis of Scientifically Related Content to the Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a withdrawn submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Delivering Wikis of Scientifically Related Content to the Community
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Antony John Williams and Sean Ekins
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- App stores deliver scientific apps for purchase and download. Web searches provide access to information about scientific databases and Wikipedia hosts information about scientists. For apps, scientific databases and scientists the data are certainly “out there”. However, focused resources for each of these types of data are lacking and, as active scientists, we have chosen to resolve the issue by setting up separate but related wikis for managing this information. SciMobileApps is a community wiki for developers, users and reviewers to post information about scientific apps for mobile devices. The SciDBs wiki allows anybody to post information about scientific databases and ScientistsDB is a merge of both Wikipedia based content and community contributed content regarding scientists. On Wikipedia the developers of apps or scientific databases generally are not allowed to post information because of conflict of interest. This is certainly true of a scientist posting a Wiki page about themselves. On our wikis contributions from “interested parties” including those facing potential conflict of interest is encouraged. This poster will report on our progress to date in delivering wikis of value to the scientific community, our success in encouraging contribution and some of the additional capabilities we have introduced to the platforms.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- --ChemConnector (talk) 15:37, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:04, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Walkerma (talk) 16:44, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 17:53, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Juttavd (talk) 03:31, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Thuvack (talk) 17:46, 21 April 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.