Submissions/Cross-lingual Wiki Engine
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Cross-lingual Wiki Engine: Enabling Collaboration Across Language Barriers
- Thursday July 12th, 2012, as part of the 14:00 – 15:20 block, in Room 310
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Marc Laporte
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Cross-Lingual Wiki Engine (CLWE) is a system designed to support concurrent, collaborative authoring and translation of content in multiple languages. We start by showing how collaborative translation differs from conventional translation environments. In particular, we show how conventional industrial translation processes and tools are based on assumptions that often do not hold in collaborative environments. The assumptions are: 1- Master language, 2- Edit freeze, 3- Enforceable timely translation, 4- Controlled language pairs, 5- Strong coordination, 6- Separation of Authoring and Translation, 7- Trained translators
We then provide a detailed storyboard which shows how the CLWE can be used by groups of users, to collaboratively author and translate content without having to make those assumptions. We then discuss the implementation of the CLWE's change tracking infrastructure, which turns out to be the critical component in enabling this sort of open-ended translation workflow. We show how the problem of tracking changes in multiple languages at once can be greatly simplified using abstract change tokens which are independent of language and textual content.
The system was designed to be implemented in any wiki engine or collaborative web application. The reference implementation is in Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware (aka TikiWiki), a Free/Open Source PHP/MySQL application.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- The presentation is based on the original paper of 2008: Cross-lingual Wiki Engine: Enabling Collaboration Across Language Barriers and the 3+ years of real world experience since.
- Please also see the architecture document for some details on the math behind the system.
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Nikerabbit (talk) 08:26, 13 March 2012 (UTC) The linked demo is not loading.
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:45, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Léna (talk) 16:32, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Dmitri Lytov (talk) 15:31, 6 June 2012 (UTC) - although it collides with Athena presentation that I wanted to attend, this topic is extremely interesting to me.
- OrenBochman (talk) 09:41, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
- BirgitteSB (talk) 23:52, 10 July 2012 (UTC) This is the most exciting development I have seen in years.
- Klortho (talk) 04:14, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.