Submissions/Economic Augmentation of Mass Collaboration mothered by Wikipedia or Wikimedia
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Economic Augmentation of Mass Collaboration mothered by Wikipedia or Wikimedia
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Brandeis University, MA, USA.
- Personal homepage or blog
https://sites.google.com/site/forhumanityfund/home (Website presenting the title in detail)
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
A proposal to raise a Global Fund through Mass Collaboration (inspired by Wikipedia)
The Concern/Curiosity: Economic Viability of Mass Collaboration
1. Wikipedia avoids ads and donations from profit oriented companies for the convenience of users and relies on user donations. Is this forever viable?
2. Can Wikipedia's success be replicated for any other mass collaborative project? How can such projects raise their funding?
Que: What could exist? >> Can a fund be raised that is managed by mass collaboration? What may be the purpose of such a fund? Who manages the investments of such a globally owned fund?
Ans: Say mass collaboration raises a global fund - The forHumanity Fund (and Account) which economically stimulates, supports and sustains developmental/ mass collaborative projects. Wikipedia becomes a great example of a candidate project that could be supported by the Fund (https://sites.google.com/site/forhumanityfund/home). The investments of such a fund are managed by all users through a collaborative budgeting mechanism (see details : https://sites.google.com/site/forhumanityfund/fund-projects-budget-review).
Que: How to make it happen? >> How will it generate revenue? How to plant the seeds for such a fund?
Ans: Create a platform – the forHumanity Shopping and Checkout System to generate revenue (https://sites.google.com/site/forhumanityfund/shopping-checkout). Wikipedia can mother forHumanity (https://sites.google.com/site/forhumanityfund/wikipedia-mothering-forhumanity).
WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, but acceptance enhances the odds
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.