Submissions/Getting Newbies to Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Getting newbies to Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Ram Shankar Yadav
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
A year back I joined the Wikipedia movement and my life has a dramatic impact with that. I got selected as Campus Ambassador for India Education Program and worked with more than 300+ students, 10+ faculties, 2 Directors and 30 fellow Campus Ambassadors. I've also participated in Outreach activities and interacted with 100+ folks . I would love to share my experience and observations on
- Why people few folks join this movement with passion and others leave it after a while?
- How to identify the selected few/perspective editors who will definitely go and "edit" after you Wiki sessions?
- How to bring the sense of belonging in the virtual world of Wikipedia?
- How to do an effective outreach and measure it?
- How existing community members can help newbies at the initial stage before they learn to fly on their own?
- How to encourage women editors to contribute to Wikipedia?
- How to encourage the participation on language Wikipedia, and creating the sense of pride for language editors?
- Last but not the least, my experiences and stories, successes and failures and most important part the FUN I get by doing this :)
- WikiCulture and Community;
- Length of presentation/talk
- 20-25 minutes 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, I've applied for the scholarship and would definitely attend Wikimania if I get it.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- --Poupou l'quourouce (talk) 20:51, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Carolmooredc (talk) 20:13, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Amakuha (talk) 05:40, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 18:23, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 00:07, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Eloquence (talk) 00:19, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Ldavis (WMF) (talk) 17:45, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 13:22, 19 April 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.