Submissions/Helping smaller wikis with Mediawiki Wikimedia Technology support
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Helping smaller wikis with Mediawiki Wikimedia Technology support
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Srikanth L
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Member India Chapter, Tamil Wiki Community
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Smaller wiki's in wikimedia universe are often have a technical disadvantage due to relatively fewer community members focusing on technology. Be it non-wikipedia projects, language wikiprojects (Except european languages which are mature), there is a huge gap in terms of technology support for these projects. They either have fewer additional tools which major projects use, fewer processes which are automated and editing community doing many things manually. Despite having solutions developed to address specific problems (like input methods extension Narayam) few communities have eventually deployed them since there are fewer hands to support the software which might require specific assistance from community members. This presentation will aim to share the things a community needs to do to improve technology support in a wiki community.
Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depends on scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Draft presentation
- I help doing some of these activities for Tamil Wikipedia part of Language support team
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Yuvipanda (talk) 03:34, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- Though I may not be attending Wikimania 2012, I'll look forward to Srikanth's insights online. -- Sundar
- Krinkle 08:37, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tamil Wikipedia has benefited from tech initiatives like Narayam that originated from other smaller wikis. We are also doing tech initiatives, testing and support that has found adoption in other communities. For issues like webfonts with huge impact on smaller wikis, there needs to be proper support and awareness on tech issues. I will not be attending Wikimania 2012 but I am interested in viewing this talk online--Ravidreams (talk) 11:00, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!