Submissions/Open Community Roundup
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Open Community Roundup
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Jessica Coates
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Creative Commons, Affiliate Network Coordinator
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Bringing together Wikimedia community representatives and their peers from similar organisations in the open community (eg Creative Commons, Global Voices, Mozilla, EFF etc), this panel will provide a comparative look at how we all operate as communities, what our strengths are, what we can learn from each other, and how we can better work together.
The discussion will build on the awareness that emerged from the SOPA/PIPA campaign that the internet is home to a growing number of likeminded organisations and communities with common goals and similar structures. It aims to taking advantage of the presence at Wikimania of representatives of a broad range of such organisations to build ties and foster future collaboration.
Each panelist would give a short (eg 5-7 minute) introduction to their community, who they are, what their goals are, how they are structured etc. There would then be open discussion, led by myself and taking questions from the audience, about issues such as:
- How are our communities governed, trained and motivated?
- What are our communities’ primary goals and activities for the coming years?
- What are the ‘hot topics’ in our communities?
- What are the overlaps in our structures, goals etc? What are the
- What are our strengths and weaknesses?
- How can we better support each other and work more closely together?
The exact panel makeup will depend on who is able to attend Wikimania; however it would ideally include those in community management/engagement roles in Wikimedia, Creative Commons and at least 3 other ‘peer’ organisations.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- 70-90 minute panel
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Not last day (may need to attend another event)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- HB-NCBI (talk) 14:34, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 15:46, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 04:01, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- AutoGyro (talk) 05:04, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!