Submissions/Read and Write in your language
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Read and Write in your language
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Being able to read a wiki or Edit and article using your computer is not trivial for many non latin languages. A large number of non-latin wikis show the banners: "Cannot read? click here" or Not able to type? Click here". The links takes to a detailed help page. Following the instructions will require some amount of technical knowledge and privileges on the system. To avoid the issue of new visitors leaving a wiki because visitor see the page with squares(missing font) instead of actual content, Wikimedia Foundation Language team developed and deployed WebFonts Extension, mainly in Indic language wikis. To make the editing easy, input methods are provided in the wiki itself using Narayam Extension. How these tools helps in improving visitors and edit counts is obvious.
I this presentation, I would like to present the features and technical details of this extension and demonstrate interesting use cases.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).