Submissions/ResourceLoader 2: The Future of Gadgets
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- ResourceLoader 2: The Future of Gadgets
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Roan Kattouw and Timo Tijhof
- E-mail address
- email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
- User:Catrope, User:Krinkle
- Country of origin
- The Netherlands
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
However, the infrastructure that supports Gadgets has not changed much since 2007, and a number of problems in the current system have surfaced over time. Managing Gadgets can only be done by administrators and requires mastery of a definition "language" that is like wikitext, but worse. Popular Gadgets must be installed on each wiki separately, which leads to a lot of duplication and subtle differences between versions of the same Gadget on different wikis. A number of popular Gadgets have now been centralized on Meta, but this has to be done using improvized hacks. Furthermore, translating Gadgets is not supported well either.
This presentation will not be very technical, but will focus on the problems with the existing system and what we did to solve them in our rewrite.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes (Roan), No (Timo)
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).