Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Semantic MediaWiki (or "Semantic MediaWiki workshop", or "Semantic MediaWiki tutorial")
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- workshop or tutorial (I'm not sure about the difference)
- Author of the submission
- Yaron Koren
- E-mail address
- Yaron K.
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Semantic MediaWiki was first proposed at the first Wikimania, in 2005, as a way to bring the benefits of the semantic web to Wikipedia. Over the last seven years, it has grown from an academic proposal to a richly-featured set of extensions that are used on over 500 wikis around the world, including within corporations and government agencies of all sizes. Semantic MediaWiki runs as a quasi-independent software project in its own right, with its own organization, developer base and conferences. And now it looks set to finally join Wikipedia, via the Wikidata project. This workshop/tutorial will teach participants about the features of SMW and its related extensions (such as Semantic Forms and Semantic Maps). Participants with laptops will then be able to create their own data structures (SMW-enabled templates, forms and filters) and queries on a central wiki, so that they can see the software in action. If there's time, there will also be a brief overview of notable usages of SMW, with a special focus on government usage. (By the way, note to organizers: the 300-word minimum is quite difficult to reach! This text is less than 200 words, including this part.)
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 45-120 minutes (any amount within that range is fine)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Jeroen De Dauw 16:52, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
- Bináris 07:11, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- Oren 184.108.40.206 20:41, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- GJK at Wikimania 18:35, 14 February 2012 (UTC) ... as owner of 70K-page SMW installation, a must-attend session.
- I too have an axe to grind. Nikerabbit (talk) 13:54, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
- Marclaporte (talk) 05:57, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- LydiaPintscher (talk) 16:14, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 23:10, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Juttavd (talk) 00:16, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 00:17, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Valid entry (talk) 00:44, 22 March 2012 (UTC) if it doesn't collide with my presentation time
- Acaglayan (talk) 12:41, 21 April 2012 (UTC)