Submissions/The process of creating new Wikipedias: past, present, future
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- The process of creating new Wikipedias: past, present, future
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- presentation (download)
- Author of the submission
- Robin Pepermans
- E-mail address
- robinp (dot) 1273 (at) gmail (dot) com
- Country of origin
- Belgium, Europe
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- none (maybe relevant: Language committee)
- Personal homepage or blog
- robinpepermans.be, blog.robinpepermans.be
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In our mission to spread knowledge to everyone in the world, we need to take into consideration that the majority of our world's population do not know English well enough (if at all) and therefore cannot use English-language resources. That's why we have about 280 language editions of Wikipedia, or about 770 wikis in total, which makes us a truly multilingual project. However, there are an estimated 7000 languages in the world, which means a lot of people still don't have access to knowledge in their language. That is why we need to make it as easy as possible for anyone to start up a Wikipedia or other project in their own language. I want to explain in this talk
- what the previous procedure was for opening wikis: anyone could just create a wiki
- why the language committee was created and why creating wikis is now not completely open: stopping nonsense projects, basic activity and localisation needed
- how it is currently: starting a wiki at Incubator, requesting approval, ...
- what I/we have been doing to improve it and what we're working on: automatic info pages, subdomains redirecting to Incubator, ...
- how the procedure ideally is; what still needs to be done: faster actual creation of wikis, ...
- Technology and Infrastructure (not really, but no other track is relevant)
- Length of presentation/talk
- not sure, max 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes, when scholarship is granted
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).