Submissions/Using Semantic Mediawiki and DBpedia as a platform for Space Data
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Using Semantic Mediawiki and DBpedia as a platform for Space Data
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
On top of the Semantic Mediawiki platform, we have built a flexible platform which contains not only the last 50 years of spaceflight history, but also a collaboratively built continuing forcast of the evolution of three core space areas. These are rocket specifications, satellite details, launch details, and launch sites. We have used web scrapers, python libraries, Google Refine, and other data tools to clean up the data sets before the data into the Semantic Mediawiki framework in order to allow the crowd to help continue the maintenance of the data set. We have also leveraged images and other media in Wikimedia Commons to enhance the richness of the data and attract a broader audience to the site. This presentation will include details of this process, challenges of using all the tools (Wikipedia related and not), and how we overcame those hurdles.
Note: This could be adapted to a workshop or tutorial in order to teach the lessons and how all the pieces of the framework came together.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).