Submissions/We want scores!
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
We want music scores!
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Anja Ebersbach,
- Markus Glaser
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Wikimedia e.V. Germany
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Not being able to write down music scores means to leave out a whole area of cultural heritage, which WM aims to preserve. Not only could various melodies and musical pieces be noted down, but also we could then approach archives and digitize their music, e.g. as part of GLAM. Support for writing music scores in Wikimedia sites has repeatedy been requested. Although there are some extensions around (e.g. and ), they have not been activated yet on live sites. We'd like to revive the discussion on the topic in many ways. Besides the technical aspects, there are several issues:
- Copyright: What are restrictions concerning writing down music. Is there a different situation when you can actually hear the music? What is the situation in different countries?
- Usability: What notation formats should be supported? What possibilities are there to integrate with the new WYSIWYG editor?
- Player: Do we want to support a player for the music. What features should it have (e.g. sampling of instruments for orchestra pieces?). Does this have an impact on copyright issues?
- Export: What are ways that we want to make the data exportable? Should it be a format that can be used to print sheet music? How about a link to PediaPress?
Purpose of this workshop is to discuss these topics with you all and start a draft specification. We need your input in order to make this a cool feature!
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).