Submissions/Wikipedia as a parallel of agriculture
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Wikipedia as a parallel of agriculture
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
presentation with discussion
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation compare Wikipedia's model with the breeding efforts in animal and crop production. In breeding performed by man, we are actually more ahead than in development of Wikipedia and system of creating and distributing of open knowledge.
For thousands of years farmers were intending to get higher yields. Recently, with the discoveries in genetics, scientists have created breeds of highly yielding organisms. Something simmillar happened in open knowledge distribution. In 2001 Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger created the model of Wikipedia, which within a very short time, got high yields to the sum of human knowledge available to everybody.
During the last 25 years, sicentist in genetics effort to breed for quality. Also Wikipedia got to the state, when Jimmy Wales called for quality of information distributed via its websites. Both environments are now hard working on quality.
Nowadays agriculture and food industry is driven by market. Money got from sold products are invested to the further breeding development and to the supportative industries. Farmers already know that higher yielding organisms can’t exist without external support. Crops need extra nutrition; they are susceptible to be damaged by pests. Also animals need special nutrition, and extra care. And Wikimedia movment? Yes, recently there were described some "problems" like age of the Wikimedia community, when new users are not coming in so high numbers as before. This is connected to the complexity of rules and traditions etc.
So will we need to establish some supportive groups and invest money, to supportive projects? What is the ratio between investments to development and support, and money received via donations? How to “breed” Wikimedia community for quality? These are the questions for the further discussion after the presentation.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 15 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
if I will have funds, than yes
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.