Submissions/Wikipedia takes Capitol Hill
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia takes Capitol Hill
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- slowking4 at gmail com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The SOPA blackout shows the impact that the Congress can have upon wikipedia. But make no mistake, this is the latest in an ongoing campaign to restrict and censor. Corporate copyright holders seek to shift the cost of enforcing their copyrights upon innocent third parties: isp's, and citizens. If you had thought that you could edit in peace, this should have disabused you. melting the phones is a start, but it will require an ongoing follow-up to counteract the corporate lobbying effort.
An ongoing education campaign is in order. A proposed briefing agenda will be developed including a two pager, and foundation annual report. A proposed agenda is:
- what is wikipedia?
- what is open source?
- what is copyright on the web?
- what is DNS?
if accepted, workshop attendees will be asked to make comments on the agenda, accept, and put aside personal agenda for the briefing exercise. appointments will be made prior to coming to wikimania. the proposed congressional briefing will typically last 1 hour. best briefing team size is 3 wikipedians. the appointment schedule will be finalized at the workshop. interested workshop attendees will contact their congressman for an appointment on Monday. congressional committee members will be briefed as well. notes will be taken about the congressional staff's concerns, and feedback will be forwarded to the foundation.
The workshop will review the briefing packet, congressional logistics on the hill, and practice briefing.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- proposed agenda at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Slowking4/congressional_briefing_agenda
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.