This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no. 688
- Title of the submission
Wikistream: Visualizing Wikipedia Updates in Realtime
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Library of Congress
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In this talk I plan to discuss and demonstrate the Wikistream Web application that displays a realtime view of edits on the major language Wikipedias. I created Wikistream after being amazed by the number of edits I saw in the wikimedia IRC channels, and wanting to let other people see the flow of edits in their Web browser. I plan to discuss how IRC is used as a realtime publication channel by Wikimedia, and how I created a simple IRC bot and web application that sits in the 30 IRC channels and publishes them on the Web using node.js, socket.io and redis. I also plan on highlighting Wikimedia's commitment to making backend data available, and how important it is. Details about getting the app running in the Wikimedia Labs environment will also be included.
Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
The site I will talk about is currently live at http://wikistream.inkdroid.org. I wrote a blog post about the project which might also provide some information about what I plan to talk about.
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Valid entry (talk) 02:26, 22 March 2012 (UTC) if it doesn't collide with my presentation time
- --Dmitri Lytov (talk) 14:36, 6 June 2012 (UTC) (will try to combine it with Wikimedia Chapters presentation)
- NaBUru38 (talk) 14:53, 6 June 2012 (UTC)