- How are the international flights?
- See Flights.
- Does my passport need to be stamped at the border?
- Yes, the Customs and Border Patrol officer will stamp your passport upon entry. Additionally, you will be fingerprinted and a picture of your eyes will be taken. See the CBP's guide for admission into the United States.
- Help! I'm at the airport. How do I get to the city?
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA): Take the Metro to Foggy Bottom–GWU station — make sure you get on a Blue Line train towards Largo. Metro opens at 5:00 AM Monday through Friday and at 7:00 AM Saturday and Sunday and closes at Midnight Sunday through Thursday and at 3:00 AM Friday and Saturday nights. The Foggy Bottom station is at 23rd and I Streets, N.W.; Lisner Auditorium is at 21st and H Streets (two blocks east, and one block south). If you exit the Metro station by escalator, you will be facing east.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD): Take the Washington Flyer bus (US$10.00 cash or credit card) from the airport to the West Falls Church Metro station on the orange line, then take the Orange line towards New Carollton from that station to the Foggy Bottom–GWU station.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI): Take the B30 bus (US$6.00 in cash, or use a SmarTrip card) to the Greenbelt Metro station on the Green Line. Take the Green Line towards Branch Avenue to L'Enfant Plaza station, then take the Blue or Orange Line from L'Enfant Plaza to Foggy Bottom–GWU.
- Help! I'm in Washington D.C. How do I get to the venue?
The Lisner Auditorium is at 730 21st Street NW (21st and H) and the Marvin Center is at 800 21st Street NW (21st and I). To get there:
- Metro: The conference is accessible by the Foggy Bottom–GWU station on the Blue and Orange Lines.
- Bus: You can take the Union Station Circulator bus or a number of other local buses. See the bus schedule for more information.
- Help! I need to get to the venue in a cab.
- Here are two phone numbers for taxi service: (202) 387-6200 and (202) 829-4222. For the Lisner Auditorium, tell the driver to take you to 21st and H. For the Marvin Center, tell the driver to take you to 21st and I.
Conference and Schedule
- I want to submit a lecture, where do I apply?
You can submit your presentation through the Submissions page until March 18.
NOTE: The submission deadline has now passed.
- Who's speaking when?
- See Schedule.
- When is the big party for attendees?
- What other related events are there?
Before the conference is Wikimania Takes Manhattan which will be organized by Wikimedia New York City to explore the cultural sites of the Big Apple. During Wikimania there will be other organized events; see social events.
- What is there to do before/after the conference?
- When will other people be there?
- Is tipping customary?
- Tipping is customary only in restaurants and hotels. Restaurant bills usually do not include payment for service, hence a 15% addition is expected for the waiter. Anything beyond that is considered a gratitude for good service. Tips are usually not expected in self-service restaurants or food stands. Tip the bellhop in the hotel (or carry it yourself − which is also customary).
- What is food like there? I have special dietary needs, what about me?
- What is the address of...? The phone number of...?
- See: Address book
- Will I be able to use my cell phone? Can I rent a cell phone?
- Should I bring my laptop? Will there be wireless Internet access?
- Wi-Fi will be provided at the venue, and at the lobby of the hotels. Some, but not all hotel rooms will have Wi-Fi at no additional charge.
- I'm a presenter; how should I bring my presentation?
Bring it on a flash drive, a CD or just on your computer: make sure it reaches the organizers a day in advance to ensure it works. Or email it to the organizers. Also, whichever option you use, upload it to Commons with a free license (or on this wiki if you don't own copyright of it) and in Wikimania 2012 presentation slides; otherwise, we'll do it for you after the conference unless you asked us not to.
- How do I get announcements about Wikimania?
- Before the conference – Watch this site or sign up for wikimania-l, a mailing list for most Wikimania related issues or announcements.
- During the conference – posted notices at the registration area will advise the attendees of any changes and notices.
- What hashtag should I use for tweets and photos?
- Use #wikimania for the conference in general. For individual presentations and sessions, a hashtag will be posted in the room.