Submissions/11 years of Wikipedia, or the Wikimedia history crash course you can edit
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- 11 years of Wikipedia, or the Wikimedia history crash course you can edit
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Dual submission: Presentation + Poster
- Author of the submission
- Guillaume Paumier
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- 70 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Further information
- A first version of this talk was presented at Capitole du Libre in November 2011, in French. A video recording of the talk is available online (WebM format, 55 min, 169 MB). The talk was highly praised (more than I expected), which is why I decided to submit an updated version to Wikimania.
- The talk cannot be compressed into 25 minutes; there is a lot of information to be conveyed, and rushing it would make it pointless and useless to most participants. 70 minutes gives enough time to present interesting information and include some interaction with the audience to avoid fatigue.
- If accepted, this talk will be accompanied by a poster where the whole infographic will be printed. The poster itself will come with a separate "edit poster" where Wikimania attendees will be invited to post corrections or missing information, to be included into the next version of the infographic. The edit poster will need to be able to sustain writing by participants (i.e. it shouldn't be mounted on a clunky hanging grid).
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Historical knowledge of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement is uneven among Wikimania attendees. One of the goals of this presentation is to raise the shared level of Wikimedia knowledge among participants, to facilitate understanding and interaction during the rest of the conference; this "crash course" would be most useful at the beginning of the event.
- Another goal is to invite Wikimania attendees to correct or add information to the document, through the poster; this will work better if the presentation is offered early in the event's schedule. Some time during the first morning would probably be ideal.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Great - help strengthen our shared history. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:21, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
- Absolutely fascinating. Can't wait to attend!--Saintfevrier 12:25, 29 January 2012 (UTC)
- "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" --NaBUru38 15:36, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
- Sounds interesting! odder 10:58, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
- Yeah, the good old retro days! ;) --OrsolyaVirág 20:36, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
- Krinkle 16:45, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
- Adam Wight 07:03, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper 20:26, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
- Resident Mario 00:06, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- This is a stupendously nifty idea. Sumanah 22:25, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- Lodewijk (talk) 13:41, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- May not be attending Wikimania, but this would be an very interesting one to watch on the videos later. :) Thehelpfulone (talk) 22:35, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- Nikerabbit (talk) 13:49, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
- HstryQT (talk) 16:14, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Lvova (talk) 20:09, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Haxpett (talk) 23:09, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
- Houshuang (talk) 00:52, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- Khalid Mahmood (talk) 19:17, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 22:29, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- Catrope (talk)
- Brest (talk) 00:32, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 14:40, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- So good, I want to watch it on videos before Wikimania too. Sj (talk) 07:07, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 16:19, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Eloquence (talk) 00:17, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 12:03, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Polimerek (talk) 11:41, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
- Shujenchang (talk) 04:29, 22 June 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!