Submissions/A Talk Page is a Broken Message Wall: Building a More Efficient Communication System
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- A Talk Page is a Broken Message Wall: Building a More Efficient Communication System
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wiki veterans know that user talk pages are important, but they're also kind of a drag. You can only follow conversations at the page level, and if you're interested in several discussions spread across different pages, it's hard to keep track.
This year, Wikia has developed the Message Wall, a threaded conversation feature that replaces user talk pages. You can read, write and reply directly on the Message Wall, without loading a separate edit window. You get on-wiki notifications about the specific conversations that you participate in or choose to follow -- there are no more missed replies, and no more pointless watchlist alerts when someone replies to a different conversation on the same page.
The Wall gives you a clear place to write a reply, and it automatically adds a signature and a timestamp, so you spend less time explaining how to sign a message and more time talking to people about the wiki.
In this presentation, we'll demonstrate the new feature, and talk about what we've built and what we've learned.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Announcement for the Message Wall launch , A petition to make it optional with a list of signatures against this feature.
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Just hope this is better than liquid threads WereSpielChequers (talk) 15:19, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 21:17, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:30, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- Sbouterse (talk) 19:22, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
- Nikerabbit (talk) 08:19, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Wikipelli (talk) 15:07, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Carolmooredc (talk) 20:07, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:32, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 22:32, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) (talk)
- --Brest (talk) 00:54, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tbayer (WMF) (talk) 10:25, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 14:45, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Pete F. (talk) I welcome the opportunity to learn from the experiences of a fellow wiki-based site. To me, the value of reporting actual experience (as opposed to a merely theoretical discussion) vastly strengthens this submission.
- Eloquence (talk) 01:08, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 01:51, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 12:04, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- MyNameWasTaken (talk) 20:46, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
- Beeblebrox (talk) 20:54, 23 April 2012 (UTC)
- Thuvack (talk) 11:01, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 (talk) 14:58, 6 June 2012 (UTC)
- Polimerek (talk) 11:20, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
- Kudpung (talk) 14:43, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
- Boite-en-Valise (talk) 15:13, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
- Gadfium (talk) 02:26, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
- Klortho (talk) 04:06, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.