Submissions/A picture is worth a thousand words
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- A picture is worth a thousand words: a case report of how Wikimedia Commons has helped public education
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Gwinyai Masukume
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Despite their ubiquitous and extensive use, food-related medical terms receive scant attention in medical and other literature. http://foodmedicaleponyms.blogspot.com/ is a blog I began to document and describe food-related medical entities.
In less than a year, the blog has been viewed more than 12 000 times and it has spawned two peer-reviewed articles in mainstream journals. This blog makes heavy use of Wikimedia Commons images to aid scientific communication. I illustrate how Wikimedia Commons in this particular case has furthered the goal of public education.
- Masukume G. Food for thought. Croat Med J, 2012 53(1)77-9 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3284186/, Masukume G, Zumla A. Analogies and metaphors in clinical medicine. Clin Med, 2012 12(1)55-6 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22372224#
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 10 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).