Submissions/Article Rescue Squadron Panel
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- David Thomsen
- E-mail address
--Dthomsen8 (talk) 22:58, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (The Article Rescue Squadron has been rescuing articles and other content nominated for deletion for years now, but recently events have made the future of the project uncertain and difficult.
I would organize a panel of ARS members to discuss the future of the ARS project, and collaterally the AfD discussion process, and what should be changed in trms of the Wikipedia notability guidelines.
Sometimes Wikipedia articles about notable topics exist in poor form, badly written, unsourced — but should they be removed from the encyclopedia at Articles for Deletion? No! Only articles about non-encyclopedic topics should be deleted, not articles that simply need improvement.
Articles that may be written in poor form, that lack references or need improvement, but whose topics are backed by reliable sources are worthy of existence in Wikipedia, per Wikipedia's notability guidelines. An article being in a poor state is not a sufficient reason for deletion. Some writer may have worked hard on that article. Some reader can use that article. Those writers and readers, if reached out to, can help us preserve worthwhile content in the encyclopedia.
Wikipedia articles are based upon topic notability. Articles that are nominated for deletion may simply need for the topic to be proven as notable and encyclopedic, through the provision of available reliable sources on the AfD page for an article. The addition of reliable sources to articles in the form of inline citations to verify content is always an improvement, and also improves Wikipedia as a whole.
WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Smallbones (talk) 14:21, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- I'm not involved in the ARS, but I'm still interested. CT Cooper · talk 17:45, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beeblebrox (talk) 20:55, 23 April 2012 (UTC)