Submissions/Ask the Operators
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Ask the Operators
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Leslie Carr, Ben Hartshorne, Jeff Green, Ryan Lane, Rob Halsell
- E-mail address
- email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Operators are standing by.
In previous years, "Ask the Developers" has been a popular and wildly successful Wikimania topic. However, since Wikimania 2011, the Operations team has exploded onto the scene, more than doubling its size and vastly expanding its scope and duties. While developers write the MediaWiki software, the Operations team makes sure that Wikipedia and its sibling sites are up and available to you to edit. Here is your opportunity to ask the Operations team all of your burning questions such as:
- How do you do your job?
- How does Wikipedia stay up?
- Why does Wikipedia go down?
- Why did it take so long to move away from GoDaddy?
- Why do some changes that seem like they should be quick seem to take forever?
- How do we accomodate growth in the site?
- How has site usage and bandwidth changed?
- How do we balance global traffic?
- How do we make the site faster for the international community?
- Can you give a quick overview of the site architecture?
- How do we handle 24/7 site coverage?
- Why can't we increase the file size limit on commons?
- Can I have a unicorn?
Panelists: Leslie Carr, Ben Hartshorne, Jeff Green, Ryan Lane, Rob Halsell
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 50 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Sumanah (talk) 19:58, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
- Can I have a unicorn? Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:31, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- Nikerabbit (talk) 08:20, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- odder (talk) 19:04, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Preilly (talk) 21:34, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Ryan lane (talk) 21:58, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- the wub "?!"
- Krinkle 07:08, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 17:46, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- -- DQ (ʞlɐʇ) 06:31, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Ironholds (talk) 00:30, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 13:55, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Risker (talk) 04:15, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
- iwilsonjr (talk) 16:33, 10 July 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.