Submissions/Blacking out Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Blacking out English Wikipedia
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- risker.wp AT gmail dot com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- CydeWeys (English Wikipedia user supportive of blackout)
- en:User:Keegan (English user not supportive of blackout)
- Brandon Harris, WMF
- Geoff Brigham, WMF
The panel will discuss the process by which the English Wikipedia Community came to decide to black out the project on 18 January 2012 as part of a co-ordinated effort with other websites to oppose the SOPA/PIPA legislation before the United States Congress, and how that decision was executed. The discussion will touch on technical issues, the design of the iconic blackout page, media response, addressing internal dissent, the community's perceptions of activism, and effect of the blackout six months afterward.
If available, panelists from Italian Wikipedia are invited to share their experiences.
While panelists will present certain information, it is expected that the audience will be active participants in the discussion.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 minutes (includes extended discussion period)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Bináris 10:35, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 16:46, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 21:18, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- HstryQT (talk) 16:23, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Lvova (talk) 20:10, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Carolmooredc (talk) 14:34, 16 March 2012 (UTC) Another issue: Will we have to do it again with the still red linked Cybersecurity_Act_of_2012????
- Mindspillage (talk) 03:34, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 14:51, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 16:23, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- MyNameWasTaken (talk) 20:47, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
- Polimerek (talk) 23:35, 24 April 2012 (UTC)
- Shujenchang (talk) 06:44, 11 June 2012 (UTC)
- kels.bran (talk) 20:47, 22 June 2012 (UTC)
- Geoffbrigham (talk) 16:15, 6 July 2012 (UTC)