Submissions/Building a Chat feature on MediaWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Building a Chat feature on MediaWiki
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Tomasz Odrobny, Danny Horn
- E-mail address
- Tomasz Odrobny
- Country of origin
- Poland, USA
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Last year, Wikia built a new Chat feature for our wiki communities. Using an IRC base wouldn't give us the functionality that we needed, so we built our own chat using Node.js, Backbone.js and Redis.
Each wiki community has its own chat room, so we needed to build a feature that could scale up to a site with 3 million users in thousands of active chat rooms. So far, we've hit a peak of 4,000 chat users in a day, with 2,000 simultaneous connections in 600 chat rooms -- all on one server!
The Chat feature is completely integrated with our wikis; it shares the login session with the wiki account, and uses the same user profile information, avatars, edit counts, and user rights. It uses core MediaWiki internationalization, and allows some wikitext syntax.
In this session, we will demonstrate the feature, and describe how we overcame the technical challenges.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- CT Cooper · talk 21:19, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- Yaron Koren (talk) 14:24, 4 March 2012 (UTC)
- Marclaporte (talk) 05:13, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- DJBauch (talk) 18:28, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- Edsu (talk) 11:51, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Krinkle 07:09, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 02:00, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Sbouterse (talk) 02:36, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 13:58, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- MyNameWasTaken (talk) 20:48, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.