Submissions/Building a lasting movement
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Building a lasting Wikimedia movement: 'Theory & Practice' edition
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimedia projects have grown up - Wikipedia is a household name in most parts of the world. How can we build around that a lasting movement to promote and spread the importance of free knowledge? What will our identity be in 10 years? What will Wikimania 2022 look like?
About the projects:
- Recently there have been discussions about how to make global decisions about what projects need support, and how to focus efforts across the many groups that make up Wikimedia. We no longer have to worry about paying our server and bandwidth bills each montha, and are exploring significant new projects. Projects like new editing and discussion tools, WikiData (at long last!), and ways to make museums, libraries, professors and teachers feel welcome in our community.
- We are learning to develop a wider range of community governance: Chapters have started in 40 countries, and are developing a Chapters Council to help new ones grow. We are learning together how to fundraise and support a community of donors, rivalling in size the community of editors. And in many countries we are learning how to be engaged in policy development and in safeguarding the free and open Web.
This workshop will cover
- What people and institutions we would like to see as part of our community in 10 years
- Visions of our future: becoming a community of readers? standing for universal access to knowledge? capturing present knowledge and critical thinking?
- Models we can follow from other global organizations and networks; learning from our mistakes
We will draw on past discussion of movement dynamics and philosophy, including the early formation of the Wikimedia Foundation, the global strategy process in 2009 and similar efforts by individual chapters, and other roles in our movement.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 75-90 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
Can not be Friday morning. More details depend on the confirmation of two co-organizers.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).