Submissions/Changing behavior: how to turn non editor to a very active user (Free Your Knowledge Wikipedia Competition experience)
This is a withdrawn submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Changing behavior: how to turn non editor to a very active user (Free Your Knowledge Wikipedia Competition experience)
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Siska Doviana
- E-mail address
- siska.doviana at wikimedia dot or dot id
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Indonesia
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Free Your Knowledge 2010 wikipedia writing competition was first introduced to increase the numbers of very active contributor in Indonesian language Wikipedia. It targeted 10 universities and the successful measurement is very clear using Wikipedia very active user statistic. Its result can not be fabricated. What is new about the approach is it is using a behavior change tactics, ones that being used in health programs and advertising agencies as a "buy drive", similar to "Fear Factor" reality shows when the shows make people eat cockroaches and pays them nothing. The competition is highly regulated and monitored throughout, either it is 72 days (shortest) or 7 months (longest) in three different languages wikipedia and it's been consistently showing the same result.
I would like to ask people to think outside the box, the competition is fierce, mean, and during implementation shows no intention to make the participants as part of the community. The system design send a clear message: "Don't be nice, be clear, be constructive, contribute or get out." Yet it is successful, when people usually "ride" wikipedia to get what they want, I would like to claim that this is the kind of event that actually "ride them back" and force them to contribute. The talk also will cover on how the future system could apply in academic setting and become sustainable.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 20 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- link will be added later
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Bdamokos (talk) 17:43, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 19:24, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 22:50, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Zellfaze (talk) 15:10, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Psychology (talk) 15:27, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
- Thuvack (talk) 17:44, 21 April 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 08:32, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.