Submissions/Chapters producing knowledge
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Chapters producing knowledge
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- E-mail address
- carobecker54 at gmail dot com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Member of Wikimédia France
- Personal homepage or blog
- French blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimedia movement, with its decentralised organisation of worldwide based volunteers, is quite difficult to understand for people used to hierarchical structures. Thus, it is not surprising that, when they want to know how to contribute to the projects, either by editing Wikipedia articles or uploading files on Wikimedia Commons, or others wikimedia projects, they need well-identified structures such as the chapters instead of posting on the respective village pumps.
Wikimédia France is growing more and more confident in organizing workshops for the general public, but sometimes what we are asked for, goes way beyond “Five pillars for dummies” : from reflections about the impact of current intellectual property laws, to which extent Wikimedia movement changes the way cultural transmission occurs; and from French and France’s languages usage on Wikimedia projects to the impact of visitors--photographs-wikimedians on cultural institution, the past year has been rich on communications, reports, talks and reflexions, for high-profiled organisations like the French Ministry for Culture and produced by the French chapter.
This talk will present in detail projects in which Wikimédia France was recently involved and during which we had to produce high-level reflections, whatever their final success might have been. We will also talk briefly on the challenges and perspectives : iis it the real purpose of a chapter to become a reliable source on its own ?
- GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums)
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).