Submissions/Embedded scripting: creating interactive diagrams, maps, and other media resources in MediaWiki
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Embedded scripting: creating interactive diagrams, maps, and other media resources in MediaWiki
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Brion Vibber
- E-mail address
- Brion VIBBER
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
MediaWiki has supported static images of various types for some time, and some basic video. But fully scriptable, interactive tools like maps and educational games/demonstrations have been unavailable. I'll be detailing a framework for safe embedded scripting in MediaWiki, including demos of several interactive tools based on it that could be used in Wikipedia articles or Wikibooks howtos or textbooks. Map/timeline integration, diagrams with movable parts, and fractal renderers can become first-class citizens of MediaWiki sites.
Demos running on a Wikimedia Labs-hosted prototype will include a basic authoring environment with a syntax-highlighting code editor, and several examples of scripted media widgets suitable for articles on history, physics, and mathematics.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
Add your username here.
- Wow! Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:19, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
- Amazing! I'd love to do games for Wikimedia. --NaBUru38 15:42, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
- Yaron Koren 04:33, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
- Krinkle 18:35, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
- Bináris 07:06, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 20:40, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
- Resident Mario 00:10, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- Nikerabbit (talk) 06:25, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- Rangilo Gujarati (talk) 12:11, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- Marclaporte (talk) 06:26, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- Christophe TUFFERY (talk)--Christophe TUFFERY (talk) 20:53, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- Edsu (talk) 11:59, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:48, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Kul (talk) 23:34, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Steven (WMF) (talk)
- --Brest (talk) 01:11, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 10:25, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Nonoxb (talk) 11:48, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- JoBaWik (talk) 12:17, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Dmitri Lytov (talk) 16:23, 6 June 2012 (UTC) - most probably I will miss it, but if there is a possibility to receive an electronic presentation or summary, I'd appreciate.
- NaBUru38 (talk) 17:23, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
- Emw (talk) 20:19, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
- iwilsonjr (talk) 16:35, 10 July 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.