Submissions/Getting ebooks on Wikisource : a first step to a Semantic Digital Library ?
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Getting ebooks on Wikisource : a first step to a Semantic Digital Library ?
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Thomas Pellissier Tanon and Thibaut Horel
- E-mail address
- thomaspt (at] hotmail (dot] fr
- Tpt and Zaran
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
To improve the quality of Wikisource a majority of contributors use the Proofread Page extension created by ThomasV in 2007. Unfortunately, this important extension (which use extensively transclusions) broke some features of installed extensions, like the PDF Writer. Two contributors from the French wikisource developed an export tool, Wsexport. As uploading ePub files is not allowed to Wikimedia Commons because a ePub sanitizer has to be written, the tool is an online means of creating texts in ePub format. Based on a new microformat and Proofread Page extension, this tool is very easy to deploy by the community members. It was created for French Wikisource, but it's now available on most active projects like de, en, fr or it. The export tool can be used directly from its page on Toolserver.org, or browsing http://wsexport.fr.nf.
At first, we will provide a feedback on the realisation of the export tool, the avantages and inconvenients of the microformat, the great opportunity that the export tools is for Wikisource. Then we'll talk about features that could be create with a build-in semantic system.Semantic could improve the usability of the editing system and increase reusability of the information.
Topics covered will include :
- Features : Epub, OPDS catalog
- Next steps : new files formats, extension for mediawiki, statistics module
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Will provide later
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Zaran 08:32, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 03:54, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Aubrey (talk) 20:02, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Edhral (talk) 21:53, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- Edsu (talk) 12:01, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:53, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Jean-Frédéric (talk)
- Sj (talk)
- Djembayz (talk) 13:08, 19 April 2012 (UTC)
- Shujenchang (talk) 06:56, 11 June 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.