Submissions/Have you heard about the Uzbek Wikipedia? Neither have the Uzbeks.
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Have you heard about the Uzbek Wikipedia? Neither have the Uzbeks.
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Uzbek Wikipedia was started in 2006 and has today about 8,000 articles. Since last Wikimania, access to the Uzbek Wikipedia is blocked in Uzbekistan. A message on the main page of the Uzbek Wikipedia says, that the reasons and terms of the block are undisclosed.
Another problem of the Uzbek Wikipedia is that many Uzbeks seem to prefer the Russian Wikipedia edition -- not only because it is not blocked, but also because it is much more comprehensive, and a majority of the Uzbek population is quite fluent in Russian.
While the world community is creating, editing, and using articles in their mother tongue, Uzbeks do not fully enjoy these activities. There was one wiki-conference in Tashkent in 2007 with the students of the Tashkent University of Information Technologies aimed to spread knowledge about the Uzbek Wikipedia among students. But, attempts to attract editors, particularly students, e.g. by prize contests, did not succeed.
This talk will present the Uzbek Wikipedia, it's contributor community, and hopes to gain feedback on how to improve its growth.
- Wikis and the Public Sector
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Steven (WMF) (talk)
- Lvova (talk) 09:47, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 11:21, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Léna (talk)
- Zellfaze (talk) 18:32, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 18:35, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Poupou l'quourouce (talk) 18:37, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Guaka (talk) 23:01, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 12:41, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- MyNameWasTaken (talk) 20:59, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
- Nataev (talk) 14:50, 6 May 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 15:49, 30 May 2012 (UTC)
- Dmitri Lytov (talk) 20:28, 6 June 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.