Submissions/Is my grandmother able to contribute
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Is my grandmother able to contribute ? Improvements for the newbies
- Type of submission
- open presentation
- Author of the submission
- Benoît Evellin
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia France
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Since (and during) my residence at the Palace of Versailles, one question is in my mind : is my grandmother able to contribute ? In September 2011, mine wasn't.
At Versailles, as a Wikipedia trainer, I have answered many questions about Wikipedia, and seen how people begin to contribute on Wikipedia. Since September, on French Wikipedia, has been started a big project, in order to improve the first steps for the newbies, inform and help them. This projetc includes the Help pages project, the Mentoring project (Service de parrainage actif) and the Counter-Vandalism Unit (Patrouille RC). With other editors, we are trying to inform people on what is Wikipedia (and is not), improve the user experience, in order to gain the loyalty of new users and renew the community. We also look at the future improvements on Wikipedia' software MediaWiki, like LiquidThreads or the WYSIWYG interface.
We are currently working steps by steps, and we haven't finish yet. This presentation is about our philosophy, the tools we choose, and the results of this project. And I hope to introduce my Grandmother as a new user !
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- 15 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- I'll have slides
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- PierreSelim (talk)
- Fuzheado (talk) 16:23, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Kippelboy (talk) 16:28, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 00:11, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- I often use this as an example as to what we should aim for regarding improving Wikipedia usability! SarahStierch (talk) 17:11, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Denis Barthel (talk) 09:29, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 19:15, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- AutoGyro (talk) 19:39, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 12:47, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 05:48, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 (talk) 14:54, 6 June 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here