This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no. 240
- Title of the submission
Linkypedia: Exploring GLAM Resources on Wikipedia
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Library of Congress
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Since the beginnings of the World Wide Web GLAM institutions have been digitizing their collections and making them available on the Web. These cultural heritage collections are important to Wikipedia in citing resources in support of article content. Linkypedia is an opensource Web application that lets GLAM institutions see what articles are referencing their content. I plan to illustrate what types of content is getting used on sites like the National Archives, the Smithsonian, the British Library and the Library of Congress. I also plan on discussing the resulting referral traffic to Library of Congress properties from Wikipedia for 2011. The aim is to encourage participation in Wikipedia by GLAM organizations, and to help GLAM organizations appreciate how important their content is to the Wikipedia community. A brief discussion of the technology of how Linkypedia works will also be included.
GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums)
- Length of presentation/talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).