Submissions/Malayalam (ml) Wikimedia movement with Schools and Government
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Malayalam (ml) Wikimedia movement with Schools and Government
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Ramesh NG
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Malayalam is the language spoken by the people from Kerala, southern state of India. This presentation is about the Malayalam Wikimedia community movement on the outreach programs in schools, engagement with Kerala Government officials to free the license for their portals, publications. Malayalam Wikipedia community has done the engagement in schools for the participation of the Kerala school students in Malayalam Wikipedia and wikisource projects. This program has taken the advantage of Kerala Curricular framework which emphasize on the collaborative learning. Due to this movement Malayalam Wikimedia project especially Wikipedia and wikisource got quality content and active participation of the school students from Kerala. Project like ‘’digitization of the old Malayalam epiq Ramachandra vilasam’’ which is the first epiq poem in Malayalam to wikisource by school student was one of the key projects done using collaborative editing. This presentation is also intended to have the wiki academies and creation of a school wiki (media wiki based school website) only Kerala school student which is independent of Wikipedia. The presentation is contains about the Malayalam Official Encyclopedia project. The community has also done an official discussion with the education ministry of Kerala government to free up the license of the official encyclopedia of the Kerala government which is called ‘’as Sarvavijnanakosham’’ in Malayalam. The government has freed the license and made under GFDL and Malayalam Wikipedia community got the advantage of the high quality content and article from the Kerala govt. published encyclopedia written by experts. A total of approx 2500 and above article were enriched and created using this content. The wikiproject is expected to get more than 20000 articles from this.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector/GLAM - Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums/WikiCulture and Community/Research, Analysis, and Education/Technology and Infrastructure)
- WikiCulture and Community, Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides is under preparation and will be ready by the presentation time.
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- I am really interested to hear anything about how the government was petitioned to free the licenses. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:46, 19 January 2012 (UTC)
- Frank Schulenburg 17:00, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
- Brest (talk) 14:31, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 23:09, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Logicwiki (talk) 08:06, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- C.R.Selvakumar (talk) 01:14, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
- AutoGyro (talk) 14:08, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
- 22.214.171.124 13:50, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!