Submissions/Paragogy, Collaborative Lesson Planning, Mediawiki and improving English Language Teaching
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Paragogy, Collaborative Lesson Planning, Mediawiki and improving English Language Teaching
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Charles Jeffrey Danoff
- E-mail address
- Charles Jeffrey Danoff
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Mr. Danoff's Teaching Laboratory
- Personal homepage or blog
- danoff dot org
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- English Language Teachers (ELT) around the world should be working together more to improve the quality of their lessons and give English Language Learners (ELL) better opportunities to learn fluent English. One way I have done that in my own teaching is by learning from my peers, other English Language Teachers, whether it be a colleague in school or a teacher on the other side of the globe sharing resources online. Paragogy is a theory of peer learning: we endeavor to say how it works, and how it works best I have been actively researching for two years. Collaborative Lesson Planning (CLP) is a method for teachers to share lesson plans. I gave a talk at Wikimania 2010 about CLP and have organized courses/study groups at P2PU on it; this presentation would be an update of what I have learned the past two years about CLP, integrating my research on Paragogy for how teachers can learn well from one another into a concrete proposal outlining steps I will take over the next year to improve as an ELT, including my recommendations for the ELT community as a whole. The best software I have found for making this a reality is Mediwiki, which I used (via Wikiversity) to publish a Wikibook of my lesson plans from China and is what I use for work as a Co-Creator of paragogy.net.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- PDF of ENG 099 Conversational American English Textbook I made using Mediawiki and dedicated to the public domain. Any teacher, educator or student who wants to re-use this, please do! This is an example of how I think ELT should move in terms of teacher collaboration.
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).