Submissions/Research institution collaboration
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Research Institution Collaboration
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Lane Rasberry
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Open Science Federation, en:Consumer Reports
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Research institutions, and particularly non-profit, federally-funded research institutions, have as part of their diligence mandate the responsibility to educate the public about what they are doing with taxpayer money. Brilliant people work at these places, and such organizations have paid staff whose job it is to create free educational materials and do public presentations. What would it mean if such institutions were to devote some of their staff outreach time to developing Wikipedia articles on basic science or research issues? Obviously it would be a great way for them to fulfill part of their outreach mission, but what are the risks of conflict of interest from these paid editors? How does this risk compare to the conflict of interest from curators and librarians in the GLAM project and professors in the Campus Ambassador program? What barriers currently prevent research institutions from participating in Wikimedia projects?
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector/GLAM - Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums/WikiCulture and Community/Research, Analysis, and Education/Technology and Infrastructure)
- Wikis and the Public Sector
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 15 minute talk; 10 minutes for questions
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- SarahStierch 03:27, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
- --Daniel Mietchen 03:42, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 15:47, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
- --Cindamuse 14:38, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- Resident Mario 00:28, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- Annie Lin (talk) 21:44, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
- HstryQT (talk) 16:40, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Léna (talk) 23:45, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Valid entry (talk) 00:53, 22 March 2012 (UTC) if it doesn't collide with my presentation time
- AutoGyro (talk) 05:01, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Geneticmaize (talk) 19:57, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
- NusHub (talk) 06:22, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
- Pete F. (talk)
- A12n (talk) 15:50, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!