Submissions/WikiQueer: What Happened When MediaWiki Went Pink and Wikimania LGBT Meetup
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The meetup portions of this submission have now mostly been included in the planned LGBT Meetup.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- WikiQueer:What Happened When MediaWiki Went Pink and Wikimania LGBT Meetup
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Gregory Varnum
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Aequalitas Project
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Hear the lessons, challenges, and joys experienced during the development of WikiQueer. There will be a chance for questions and answers following the very brief presentation. Another questions can be taken one-on-one during the meet up or afterward via email responses to questions left on notecards.
- Following will be a meet up for LGBT folks attending Wikimania to network and discuss lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, ally (LGBT) communities engagement and outreach within the broader Wikimedia movement. This builds on LGBT outreach done at Creating Change 2012.
- If there is time, some discussion and action steps will be documented and followed up by WikiQueer. WikiQueer will also serve as the host for the presentation. Email addresses will be collected from participants to facilitate distribution of any materials in “green friendly” electronic method. A very limited number of print materials will be available, by request, for accessibility purposes.
- WikiQueer is a MediaWiki based wiki specifically for and by the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, and ally communities. It is a program of The Aequalitas Project, a nonprofit organization serving as an incubator for new progressive programs.
- While this could potentially be two separate presentations, my sense was the audience for the presentation and meet up with have a lot of overlap. While some attending the presentation may not be interested in the meet up (and will be welcome to leave before it begins), folks attending the meet up will find the presentation relevant. However, I'm open to splitting them (space pending?). Varnent will serve as the primary facilitator of the presentation and following meet up. However, members of LGBT WikiProjects or activities within Wikimedia projects may be encouraged to participate or speak. Possible attendees include current or potential system administrators of third-party wikis, Wikimedians interested in learning more about third-party wikis, LGBT Wikimedians and anyone interested in outreach to the LGBT communities.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education (Possibly also: Technology and Infrastructure)
- Length of presentation/talk
- 15 Minute presentation followed by 10 minute meet up
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Ideally before a break period - such as lunch - where folks can continue small group conversations from meet up if they'd like to
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- CT Cooper · talk 20:16, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 23:34, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
- —Tom Morris (talk) 20:18, 8 April 2012 (UTC)
- David Shankbone (talk) 17:22, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.