Submissions/Wikimedia on Social Media
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia on Social Media
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Jeromy-Yu Chan, Tango Chan, Slobodan Jakoski, Kiril Simeonovski, Guillaume Paumier, Naveen Francis, Christophe Henner
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Hong Kong, Macedonia, India & France
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Hong Kong, WM Macedonia, WM India, WM France & WMF
- Personal homepage or blog
- Jeromy-Yu: http://twitter.com/jeromyu
- Slobodan Jakoski: http://twitter.com/FlavrSavr
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Social media and social networking sites have become pivotal to many Internet users; they are a very powerful tool to spread messages and engage in discussions. Although they haven't coordinated much so far, actors of the Wikimedia movement, like the Wikimedia Foundation and a number of Chapters, have successfully been using social media channels, for example to encourage people to edit, share news, and invite people to local events
- The goal of this panel is share experience on the use of social media throughout the Wikimedia movement, and to share best practices to collectively improve our use of these communication channels.
- Through the panel, apart from experience sharing, we will also discuss the following topics:
- How to encourage participation of the rest of the community in the activity of the main social media accounts, currently run by the WMF's social media team;
- How to curate the channels so others can use them;
- How to align the dozens of Wikipedia (or other projects)-focused social media accounts for greater impact and awareness;
- How to meaningfully use one channel to work in dozens of languages and cultures.
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk
- 45 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Jeromy-Yu: Yes
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- As a social media guru, I'm highly interested. HstryQT (talk) 19:31, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Haxpett (talk) 23:58, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
- odder (talk) 19:05, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 17:42, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tbayer (WMF) (talk) 12:31, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 07:32, 1 April 2012 (UTC)
- Wrightbus (talk) 12:29, 5 April 2012 (UTC)
- --Chmee2 (talk) 21:03, 30 April 2012 (UTC)
- Matthew (WMF) (talk) 23:34, 1 May 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 (talk) 17:52, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
- Thomas-Lowenhaupt (talk) 19:56, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
- LMarianne (talk) 18:09, 1 July 2012 (UTC)
- Carol Bean
- Chuq (talk) 14:44, 14 July 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.