Submissions/Wikipedia Education Program
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no. 689
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia Education program
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Jeroen De Dauw
- E-mail address
- jeroendedauw at gmail dot com
- Jeroen De Dauw
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia, Wikimedia Germany
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikipedia Education Program's vision is to mobilize and empower the next generation of human-knowledge generators to contribute to Wikimedia projects. Based on the learnings from the Public Policy Initiative, a pilot program to use Wikipedia in university classrooms in the 2010–11 academic year, the Wikipedia Education Program strives to expand Wikipedia's use as a teaching tool worldwide.
Professors who participate in our program assign their students to edit Wikipedia articles as part of their coursework. Students are assisted by trained Wikipedia Ambassadors, who help both in the class and on wiki.
Since the start of the program, several years back, it has grown a lot, and reached a point where it needs a more solid infrastructure to keep track of everything that's going on. To this end, the Education Program extension has been created. It keeps tracks of instututions, courses, instructors, ambassadors, students and what students are working on. This removes the need for a lot of manual curating, makes it a lot easier to track changes via the log and recent changes and allows for more thorough and automatic high-level analysis of what's happening in the program. It is scheduled to be deployed on Wikipedia before the start of the next term in the US.
This talk will introduce you to the extension and the new interfaces it brings, with as aim to both inform and gather feedback. Beta testing is also very welcome, and can already be done on the Education Program demo wiki.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Not during any WikiData or Semantic MediaWiki talks
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).