Submissions/Working with Wikiproject:National Register of Historic Places
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no. 249
- Title of the submission
Working with Wikiproject:National Register of Historic Places
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Panelists will discuss how an editor can best work with Wikiproject:NRHP The main themes will be
a) finding information about sites on the US National Register of Historic Places, both on Wikipedia and online in government databases (e.g. NPS Focus and state historical societies). Then how to use this information to actually find the sites and photograph them. Planning a road trip. Special considerations include “address restricted” sites, historic districts, city vs. country sites, and no trespassing and privacy considerations.
b) Writing up information for Wikipedia articles and tables. Problems with using NRHP nomination forms and similar material. Differences between National Historic Landmarks, National Register of Historic Places, Historic Districts, etc. Information from state historic preservation organization (SHPOs) and other sources.
c) Photographing NRHP sites emphasizing the basics of architectural photography, dealing with distortion, editing photos for Wikipedia, uploading and categorizing at Commons, and placing the photos into articles and (sometimes multiple) lists.
d) Working with WP:NRHP and other Wikiprojects, e.g. WP:GLAM, with emphasis on the upcoming Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest in September. Other projects might include local "Wikipedia takes ..." photoshoots, Wikipedia Loves Art, or working with local historical societies.
e) Showing local examples, especially from Washington, D.C., and perhaps presenting a mini-exhibition of 10-20 photos (selected by members of WP:NRHP) if wall space is available, or printing up self-guided tours of NRHP sites (based on WP articles) in the George Washington University area and nearby areas.
- Length of presentation/talk
- 35 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Multichill (talk) 14:44, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 00:20, 25 March 2012 (UTC)
- Emw (talk) 20:11, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
- Jonathunder (talk)
- Another Believer (talk) 03:45, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
- Akaniji (talk) 10:57, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Case (talk) 18:24, 8 July 2012 (UTC)