- member of Wikisource User Group
- GLAM volunteer
decline will continue based on organizational culture, until an investment is made to shift the culture..
Contra the prevailing belief, “success” isn’t being on top of a hierarchy, it is standing outside all hierarchies. Or, even better, for those who can, not being aware of, or not giving a f*** about hierarchy.
Plato famously argued in The Republic that a tyrant, however powerful, ultimately suffers in the end by corrupting his own soul. You make a similar argument about assholes — that they might win at life but still fail as human beings.
|Wikisource user page >>>|
The harm is that telling people to “assume good intent” is a sign that if they come to you with a concern, you will minimize their feelings, police their reactions, and question their perceptions. It tells marginalized people that you don’t see codes of conduct as tools to address systemic discrimination, but as tools to manage personal conflicts without taking power differences into account. Telling people to “assume good intent” sends a message about whose feelings you plan to center when an issue arises in your community.
I know that it is not going to happen .. Jimmy Wales sending me 1 million dollar is not going to happen either. I will just have to live with it. And if I have the choice between checking with Google to see whether WikiData is correct, and if it is not using Google to get the correct data, or skip WikiData and just get the correct data from Google directly, then I choose the latter option. WikiData has its place in this world, but no place on en.wikipedia.
- this is hilarious. you realize that knowledge graph uses wikidata, google having abandoned their knowledge database in favor of it?  have you tried a grant request? what would you spend it on, other than "send me money"? wikidata on the other hand, has no funding problems. 
- Punjabi Wikimedians/Punjabi Wikisource SDOC Pilot
- Robichaud, Danielle; McCracken, Krista (2017-04-28). "Collaborative archival practice: Rethinking outreach, access, and reconciliation using Wikipedia". UWSpace Home. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- "Almost Wikipedia: What Eight Collaborative Encyclopedia Projects Reveal About Mechanisms of Collective Action". Berkman Klein Center. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- Leberecht, T. (2015). The Business Romantic: Give Everything, Quantify Nothing, and Create Something Greater Than Yourself. HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-06-230252-6. Retrieved 2017-10-23.
- Kraut, R. E.; Resnick, P. (2012). Building successful online communities: Evidence-based social design.
- Robert I Sutton (2017). The Asshole Survival Guide: How to Deal with People Who Treat You Like Dirt. Penguin Books Limited. ISBN 9780241980187.
- Sean Illing, A Stanford psychologist on the art of avoiding assholes, Vox, September 26, 2017
- Aaron James (30 October 2012). Assholes: A Theory. Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-385-53568-7.
- "Robert Sutton’s ‘Good Boss, Bad Boss’". The Washington Post.
Bad bosses, especially bullies, have a profoundly negative impact on their workplaces.
- Assholes are killing your project
- Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, "Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?", Harvard Business Review, August 22, 2013
- Albert O. Hirschman (1970). Exit, Voice, and Loyalty: Responses to Decline in Firms, Organizations, and States. Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-674-27660-4.
- Johnson, J.A. (2018). Toward Information Justice: Technology, Politics, and Policy for Data in Higher Education Administration. Public Administration and Information Technology. Springer International Publishing. ISBN 978-3-319-70894-2. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- Ryan Calo; Alex Rosenblat (2017). "The Taking Economy: Uber, Information, and Power". Columbia Law Review 117.
- Jonathan Chang, Cristian Danescu-Niculescu-Mizil Trajectories of Blocked Community Members, ACM doi 3308558.3313638
- Accept, decline, postpone: How newcomer productivity is reduced in English Wikipedia by pre-publication review
- Wikipedia is a Game - Raph Koster - Wikimania 2014
- Changing change management
- Volunteer Management
- Feelings of Pride and Respect as Drivers of Ongoing Member Activity on Crowdsourcing Platforms
- The Misalignment Between Content Quality and Popularity in Wikipedia
- Intellectual Labor and the Datalogical encyclopedia
- 3 Sins of leadership
- 8 signs of dysfunction
- user:Slowking4/Wikisource Year in Review 2019 presentation
- User:Slowking4/Open letter on Community Health
- user:Slowking4/Wikisource Year in Review 2018 presentation
- user:Slowking4/Wikisource Year in Review presentation
- user:Slowking4/Wikisource User Group presentation links
- c:File:A walk through Wikicommons Wikisource 4.pptx (3).pdf
- c:File:Drain the swamp idea lab proposal.pdf
- What Wikipedia Must Do - Andrew Lih 2015
- Submissions/Wikipedia & Quality
- User:Slowking4/WMDC membership banner
- User:Slowking4/Open letter on Community Health
- User:Slowking4/Arbcom agenda
- User:Slowking4/Training in Wikimedia
- Women through the glass ceiling: gender asymmetries in Wikipedia
- s:Danielle Citron speaks at WikiConference USA 2015
- User:Slowking4/The Farmbrough effect
- User:Slowking4/the Wikinews scenario
- User:Slowking4/english wikipedia has cancer
- User:Slowking4/wikicommons has cancer
- User:Slowking4/blow up AfC
- User:Slowking4/Why i think Narrowing focus is a strategic mistake
- User:Slowking4/Why i think the Heilman matter is a strategic mistake
- User:Slowking4/All knowledge versus free culture
- User:Slowking4/Leadership in Wikimedia
- user:Slowking4/Gender Gap & civility
- user:Slowking4/Gender Gap & arbcom
- Wikipedia & Leadership
- User:Slowking4/Wikipedia & copyright
- user:Slowking4/Drain the swamp - an inspire campaign idealab project
- wikidata and smithsonian, andrew lih 2017
wiki loves capitol hill
- user:Slowking4/WLCH presentation
- User:Slowking4/congressional briefing agenda 2014
- User:Slowking4/congressional briefing agenda
- User:Slowking4/congressional briefing handouts
- w:Pepsi Refresh Project grants rather than ads
- English vs non-English Wikipedia active editors trends tweeted
- F2C2012: Aaron Swartz keynote - "How we stopped SOPA"
- advocacy is social engineering
- User:Slowking4/Mobile audio upload app grant
- Grants:IdeaLab/Grand Canyon Museum Collection
- User:Slowking4/block appeal